1. How many intakes are there each year? When does the year start? 

There is one intake every year. The foundation summer term for all HKUST students starts in end of July or early August at the HKUST campus.

2. What is the class size each year? 

The intake is expected to be around 50-60 students.

3. What is the course length and how many class hours will it cover?

For a 2-credit course, there are a total of 28 contact hours. There is usually one class per week for each course and it takes 8 weeks (with the final week allotted for examination) to complete a course of 2 credits.

4. Is it possible to extend the length of my study?

We normally do not encourage students to extend their length of study. However, we do offer study extensions for students who cannot complete the program within the defined timeframe because of health reasons. All students must complete the whole program within 5 years.

5. Do I need a student visa for studying in Hong Kong?

Yes, students who do not have the right to reside in Hong Kong are required to apply for a student visa for entering into Hong Kong and studying on a full-time master degree program. The MSc Programs Office will coordinate with the Fok Ying Tung Graduate School to arrange student visas for all incoming students upon admission and prior to the commencement of the program. The duration of the student visa will cover the whole period of study in the program.



1. Will I be able to join any of the partner schools in your exchange program? 

The opportunity to undertake an exchange is guaranteed to students with CEMS qualification but whether you can go to your preferred school depends on the number of spaces available. Those spaces vary year by year. If the demand for a specific partner school is more than the available exchange spaces, students will be assessed in terms of their academic and personal qualities to match with partner schools. Students are advised to select a list of preferred exchange partner schools during application, and their exchange opportunities will be assigned according to their priority in the preference list.

2. Do I need to pay tuition fee at the exchange school? 

Students continue to pay HKUST tuition fee for the credits they take at exchange schools. They have to take care of other expenses such as flights, accommodation and living expenses during the exchange. In some cases, the partner universities may require exchange students to pay for the costs of participating the Block Seminar and some other course materials.

3. Do I need a student visa for the exchange?

Some locations require students to get a student visa for the exchange. Students are recommended to coordinate with the exchange school for the application of the student visa before the exchange term begins, if needed.

4. Is it possible to change my exchange preference? 

We give students liberty to pick their preferred exchange school only at the time of admissions, which is why we require students to prioritize the schools according to their preference. It is the students' responsibility to make sure that their listed choices are based on their evaluation of the schools and their priority of preference. Any changes of choices will not be entertained after submission and assignment of exchange schools.

5. When will I know the result of exchange? 

Exchange allocation will be processed and announced after the second phase of application. Applicants from the third or fourth phase of application will not have priority on exchange school selection, and exchange allocation will depend on the availability of exchange seats left after the first two phases. 

6. How does the Program Office allocate exchange for students? 

The HKUST MIMT Program Office assigns the exchange opportunity by taking consideration from various aspects in order to widen students’ international exposure towards different cultures and communities, which they might probably not have experienced before. The various aspects for careful consideration include students’ holistic background, interview performance, preferred school term for exchange, students’ priority of exchange school in the preference list, overall student demand for particular exchange schools, available exchange slots in each school, etc.

Since CEMS advocates a balance of students going to each member school in each school term, there is only a limited number of seats in each school and in each term. Please note that some of the exchange schools are in extremely high demand, but there is no way to accommodate the request of all students to one school. If all the choices in the student’s preference list have already been filled up by other students with better qualification/performance, the HKUST MIMT Program Office has no choice but to assign students to another CEMS school with available seats. We encourage students to apply as early as they can.


Internship (CEMS TRACK ONLY)

1. Will I be able to get an internship during my study and how can I do this? 

Students are required to undertake an international internship after Term 2 (during summer) in which they will work for a consecutive period of at least 8 weeks in one company outside their home country. Students are expected to play an active role in securing the internship which must be approved by the school before it starts. The internship can take place at a CEMS Corporate Partner, although this is not compulsory, or at a non-profit organisation.

2. Are there any career services that can help me to obtain an internship? 

IIn order to facilitate students’ entry into the world of work and help companies track down the right profiles for recruitment, the CEMS network provides a number of services. These include CEMS Career Forum, CEMS Virtual Career Fair, CEMS Job Market and CEMS Student CV Database. Moreover, students also benefit from free access to online career development platforms offering useful tips and information that help them best prepare for the early stages of their careers.

3. Can I take the internship in Hong Kong?

The main objective of the internship is to turn students' academic experience and theoretical knowledge into a professional, multi-cultural experience that enables students to integrate an organisation’s culture and processes. The location of international internship together with the student’s home country, home school and exchange school must cover at least three countries. 

For local Hong Kong students enrolled in the program, their internships should take place outside Hong Kong. For non-local students from China, Asia, the Americas or Europe, their internships may take place in Hong Kong.

4. Do I need a work visa to do the internship?

Some locations require students to get a work visa in order to do an internship. Students are recommended to coordinate with the company which offers the internship for the application of a work visa, if needed.

5. Is the internship paid or unpaid?

It is up to individual employer's practice. Students should pay attention to the information provided in the internship description.



1. Do I need to submit all of the materials by the application deadline? 

Yes, you have to submit the online application form together with the personal statement, application fee, and copies of supporting documents onto the Online Application System by the application deadline. Only copies of the supporting documents are required at the application stage. It is strongly recommended that applicants make use of the document uploading function on the online application platform to submit soft copies of documents.

You are required to take TOEFL or IELTS unless your first language is English or your qualification is awarded by a university or an institute where the language of instruction is English. A satisfactory GMAT/GRE is always required for the application of MIMT with CEMS track application while it is optinal for MIMT with Non-CEMS track application. You are advised to have the test scores ready when you submit the application. Otherwise, please schedule your tests as early as possible and put your scheduled test date on the application. In any case, you should submit your scores within one month after the application deadline.

The MIMT Program Office will only process the application with a completed set of supporting documents.

You are required to show the original documents and/or submit the certified true copies, with official imprint and signature, by the issuing authorities when you are admitted to the program.

2. I have already got 2 reference letters from my academic referees. Is it acceptable? 

For the academic references, you are required to give us the name and the contact method of the referees in your online application. Once you have submitted your application, the system will send an invitation email to the referees directly and ask them to fill out the references for you on the online application system. We highly recommend you to communicate with your academic referees for their earliest reply. We will only review the application once all the documents have been received. In case the referee did not receive the referee form, you may resend the referee form to them via the system. The referees can upload a scanned copy of the written reference letter as supplementary information. The scanned copy of the written reference letter cannot be used to replace the online reference form.

3. Do I need to possess three (3) languages at the time of application/admission? (CEMS Track Only)

CEMS track students must have three (3) languages, which include English and a 2nd and a 3rd language, in order to graduate. The 2nd language and 3rd language can be any language. Either of these languages is your mother tongue.

CEMS track students entering the program with only two (2) languages must study an equivalent of at least one term of introductory course of a third language at the home term of the MSc program and complete the course successfully before graduation. For the 2nd or 3rd languages you have indicated, please supply us with copies of any documentation that will help prove that you are proficient in your chosen language (e.g. course papers, exam results).

4. Which level should I attain for the 2nd/3rd language? (CEMS Track Only)

The 2nd language must be at intermediate level while the 3rd language should be at least at introductory level. Please check out the recognized language examinations at the CEMS website at https://www.cems.org/mim/curriculum/management-business-communication/commercial-language-tests.

5. What means of language proficiency proof will be accepted?

English proficiency and competence are assessed by a recent third-party certification (TOEFL/IELTS) or proof of university medium of instruction in English.

For CEMS track students, the acceptable means of language proof for the 2nd or 3rd languages include: secondary education, university degree, existing CEMS accredited courses, accredited commercial exams, in-house language exam at CEMS schools, or mother tongue. Students who do not possess or cannot provide valid language proof for the 3rd language are required to study a language course at the home term during the MSc program study.

6. Is a minimum GMAT/GRE score required for admission? 

We do not have a minimum score requirement. But for the application of MIMT (with CEMS Qualification), a GMAT score of 600 or above is preferred and a GRE score of 310 is preferred.

7. Can the GMAT/GRE requirement be waived? 

Applicants are highly recommended to have satisfactory GMAT/GRE score. As applicants come from different academic backgrounds, different education institutions, and different countries of origin, the GMAT/GRE score allows us to assess various applicants’ academic ability for an international program. Extensive research also supports that it is a consistent measure reflecting how well an applicant can handle postgraduate studies, particularly required courses. A satisfactory of GMAT/GRE report is compulsory for MIMT (with CEMS Qualification) applications, while it is optional for MIMT standalone applications.

8. I have not taken the GMAT/GRE yet. Should I submit the application? 

You could first submit your application and indicate in the application form your scheduled test date. You are advised to schedule GMAT/GRE within a month after the application deadline. An unofficial GMAT/GRE score report will be available right after the test and please upload the unofficial report onto the online application system.

9. How long is my GMAT/GRE result valid for? 

Your GMAT/GRE result is valid for 5 years prior to the commencement of study.

10. Does the University accept GMAT/GRE online test results?

Yes. The University is now accepting the following online test results as alternatives in meeting the admission requirements.

GMAT Online Exam
GRE General Test at Home

11. Do I need to submit a TOEFL/IELTS score with my application? Does the University accept any test alternatives for the English Language admission requirements?

A TOEFL/IELTS score is required if your first language is not English nor your degree or equivalent qualification was awarded by an institution where the medium of instruction was not English.

The University now accepts the following tests to fulfill the regular English language admission requirement:

  • TOEFL - Internet-based Test (iBT)
  • TOEFL - Paper-based Test (pBT)
  • TOEFL - Revised Paper-delivered Test
  • IELTS (Academic Module)

12. Is a minimum TOEFL/IELTS score required for admission? 

A satisfactory score in TOEFL or IELTS is required for applicants whose bachelor's degree was awarded by an institution where the medium of instruction was not English or whose first language is not English.

  • TOEFL score in minimum 80 (iBT); 550 (pBT) or 60 (Revised paper-delivered test)
  • IELTS (Academic Module) overall score in minimum 6.5 (and ALL sub-scores in 5.5 or above)

For CEMS track applicants, TOEFL score of 100 (Internet test) or IELTS score of 7 or above is preferred.

13. How long is my TOEFL/IELTS result valid for? 

Your TOEFL/IELTS result is valid for 2 years prior to the commencement of study.

14. What is the Institution Code for HKUST for GMAT/GRE/TOEFL/IELTS?

GMAT- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology - HKUST Business School, Other master's degree programs, Full-Time or Part-Time

GRE - 3834

TOEFL - 0170

IELTS - Name of department: HKUST Fok Ying Tung Graduate School
           Name of institution: The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology 
           Address: Room 6418, Lift 25-26, Academic Building, Clear Water Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong (No postal code is required for Hong Kong)

Please note that applicants are not required to send in the score report during application. Instead, the Program Office will ask for the certified true copies when you are admitted into the program.

15. I have more than two years of full-time work experience. Will I have an advantage in being selected? 

The HKUST MIMT program is a pre-experience postgraduate degree program tailor-made for fresh graduates who possess multi-cultural aptitudes and aim to take up international leadership positions in their careers. Prior full-time work experience is not necessary. For CEMS track students, no more than two years of full-time post-qualification work experience is preferred.

We also recognize the vital importance of recruiting a diverse group of students who will both benefit from and contribute to the program. Rather than selecting candidates based on a preconceived formula like academic performance and work experience, students are selected on the basis of their potential for an international career, how they will interact with each other as a group, how the program matches their individual needs and objectives, and the extent to which they are driven by and embrace success.

16. Is a personal interview required?

Yes. A face-to-face interview will be arranged for shortlisted candidates residing in Hong Kong. Otherwise, video interviews via the Internet will be conducted. Phone interview requests are not accepted.

17. What do I need to take to the interview? 

If you are attending a face-to-face interview, you should bring along with you a personal identity document and the official certificate(s) of your degree/professional qualifications, in addition to any essential supporting documents that you have not provided to the Programs Office.

18. Is there any financial aid or scholarships for the program? 

Eligible candidates will be considered for scholarships automatically. Students' eligibility for the scholarship will be assessed after an online application has been submitted and an interview has been conducted on a case by case basis.


Campus Life

1. Is on-campus accommodation available? 

On-campus accommodation at HKUST is not available due to heavy demand. Students will have to explore short-term off-campus accommodation. The University’s Student Housing Office will help to explore information for short-term off-campus housing options for the exchange-in and non-local students.

2. Can I learn Mandarin (Putonghua) or Cantonese, or other languages at HKUST? 

The HKUST Language Centre offers various language courses, including Mandarin, Cantonese and also other Asian / European languages, throughout the year for students to join at an extra cost. These are optional courses and are not credit bearing.

3. Do I need a laptop for study? 

We strongly recommend students to have laptops. There are, however, several computer barns on campus equipped with over a hundred computers. Those who intend to buy a laptop can join the notebook ownership scheme on campus and purchase one at a discounted price for students, though it will take some time before the product can be picked up.

3. How far is the campus from the city center? 

The campus is just 10 minutes' ride away from the nearest Mass Transit Railway (MTR) station at Hang Hau. Supermarket, banks, bookstore and food outlets are also available on campus. The city center, Central, can be accessed by bus or minibus from campus within 45 minutes.



1. What is M2M?

M2M is a partnership between the HKUST Business School, FGV, HEC Paris, UBC Sauder and Yale SOM to create a suite of double degree opportunities for early career students. M2M aims to provide students opportunities to enrich their learning experience in their master studies, in which one year will be spent in their home school while another year in a partner school from another continent. Students graduating from this M2M partnership will be awarded two master degrees in two years.

2. Is there any advantage to applying simultaneously for the M2M program?

The advantage to apply simultaneously for your Year 1 and Year 2 programs is that you will receive admission decisions and a financial aid determination earlier than applying consecutively for each program.

3. How does the application for M2M work?

Students interested in the M2M program may apply simultaneously for their Year 1 (M1) and Year 2 (M2) programs. They will receive admission decisions and financial aid packages for both schools at the outset, allowing them to plan effectively for their next two years of academic study.

4. Do I have to submit separate applications to both institutions?

Students should submit an application directly to M1 institution during the application stage.

For instance, students who are interested in HKUST–Yale M2M program should submit their application directly to HKUST. A supplementary form is needed to be filled in the Online Admission System in order to indicate the interest in applying for double degree option.

Likewise, students who are interested in HEC Paris–HKUST M2M should submit their application directly to HEC Paris and follow the necessary procedures for application.

The M2M institutions will follow up with the applicants in completing the application procedures respectively.

5. Can current students/alumni of HKUST MIMT Program apply for the M2M program?

Yes. Current students/ alumni of MIMT Program are eligible to apply for the M2M program by directly applying for Yale SOM. They will have to follow Yale’s MMS standalone application deadlines listed on their website, which are different from the M2M joint application deadlines.

6. I’m a current student from HEC MiM. Can I apply for the M2M program at HKUST?

Yes. Please submit your application directly to the HKUST MIMT program through the University Application System. Please follow the application deadlines listed on the HKUST MIMT program website, which are different from the M2M joint application deadlines.

7. What is the work experience requirement for applying for M2M?

The M2M program is intended for students immediately out of college or with less than three years of work experience. For Yale MMS program, students are required to have full-time work or internship experience for at least 12 weeks. The internship or work experience does not need to be for a consecutive period of 12-week in one company.

Students are highly recommended to complete this requirement before joining HKUST MIMT Program. Students who cannot fulfill this requirement may lead to one-year delay of the Yale MMS in GBS Program.

8. How much is the application fee for M2M?

For students who apply for HKUST–Yale M2M program, they will have to pay HKD800 application fee to HKUST and USD95* application fee to Yale. For students who apply for HEC Paris–HKUST M2M program, they will have to pay EUR110* application fee to HEC Paris.

*subject to change

9. Is there any interview for M2M?

Yes, students may have to join the admission interviews respectively by both institutions.

10. What are the tuition fee and expenses for M2M?

M2M students will pay the tuition tee of the institutions where they are in residence.

For M2M partnership between HKUST and Yale, the tuition fee for HKUST MIMT program is HKD390,000 (2024/25 intake) and the tuition fee for Yale MMS program will be USD82,200* (2023/24 intake).

For M2M partnership between HKUST and FGV, the tuition fee for HKUST MIMT program will be HKD390,000 (2024/25 intake) and the tuition fee for FGV program will be R$49,920* [USD10,028] (2024/25 intake).

For M2M partnership between HEC Paris and HKUST, the tuition fee for HEC Paris MiM program will be EUR26,600* (2024/25 intake) and the tuition fee for HKUST MIMT program will be HKD390,000 (2024/25 intake).

Please note that the travelling and living expenses are not included in the tuition fee.

*subject to change

11. When will I know the M2M results? Will I receive both results at the same time?

Students will receive the admission result around one month after the interview. M2M institutions will announce admission result and issue offer to students separately.

12. Shall I have to pay the deposits for both institutions?

Yes, students admitted into the M2M program are required to pay for the non-refundable deposit to both institutions. Students are required to settle the deposit for the M1 study first, while the deposit payment for the M2 study will be paid at a later stage.

13. Is there any financial aid or scholarships for M2M?

Eligible candidates will be considered for scholarships. Students' eligibility for scholarships or financial aid will be assessed independently by both M2M institutions.

14. Is it possible to extend the length of my M2M study or defer to take a gap year?

We normally do not encourage students to extend their length of study. Deferral request will be considered on a case-by-case basis and subject to approval from the institution. Students will be allowed to defer their study for one year only.

15. If I have been admitted into the HKUST-Yale M2M program, what is the next step?

After paying the deposit to secure your offer of the M2M program, you are required to submit the documents for verification. It is the University policy to require students to send true copies of the degree certificate, academic transcripts, and score reports to the Fok Ying Tung Graduate School (FYTGS) for verification. If students do not submit the relevant documents, FYTGS will not allow them to do the student registration.

Once you have finished the MIMT Program and fulfilled the graduation requirements, Yale University will use ReVera (USD100 fee charged to candidates) for document verification.